April 8, 2008

"Mum's Cheeky Lace"






























Hi All - I've been snoofying around in one of my cupboard's in my studio ... looking out my various Wire Lace pieces ready for this weekend when I am teaching a workshop here in Perth. Whilst looking I found this piece of Needle lace... It was made for the Australian Lace Guild Triennial Competition (in Adelaide) in 2003 - the Theme was "Framed" and I titled this piece "A room with a View" though my son named it "Mum's Cheeky Lace". The actual abstract piece of needle lace was worked in DMC 30 (has a lovely sheen on it in the pic!) and measures 10cms from the tip of the picot on the left to the tip of the picot on the right!
The first pic shows the lid closed ... the wall is painted Calico which was then lightly quilted with "bricks" then I worked "free Needle lace" . Woven Picots for the leaves and the tiny flowers were worked over a Couronne stick (Ring stick) and a little pearl bead added. I used this technique recently to do the Postcard which I sent to Susan Lenz's Cyber Fyber Exhibition
and the little ATC which is for the swap during the exhibition ... (there have been previous posts showing these 2 pieces). I love working this "free lace" and hope to do more once this teaching weekend is over ..... By the way it didn't win anything but apparently gave the Judges a giggle! :-)

1 comment:

artisbliss said...

This is so clever and well done.